Sunday 13 March 2016

Confused Sushi Dinner

The family have been complaining that I hadn't made sushi for ages, so I was press ganged into changing that. While writing this my wife is asserting that no press ganging was required - anyway... we had sushi for dinner last night.

We had Inari Sushi (seasoned pouches of fried tofu pouches filled with sushi rice), Igiri Sushi with prawn, konbu cured hake and tuna, and Maki Sushi with spiced tuna tartar and salmon roe.
With the sushi we had  Ebi no Suimono (dash based soup with prawn and spinach), Tosa Sauce and and a scallop.

The scallop was Peruvian and looked stunning. I found them yesterday at Waitrose and could resist adding them. Rick Stein got a lovely recipe for scallop with a hazelnut and coriander butter (you can find that on Foodie Couple Blog). I adjusted it to be a soy sauce and chili paste butter.



So why did I call this "Confused Sushi"? Well, the spiced tuna tartar and the spiced butter for the scallop, both used Gochujang, the Korean Chili paste, which is hardly authentic Japanese. However we loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment