Sunday 20 March 2016

Home made Macaroons

The company I work for is headquartered in Paris, France. As such I go there quite frequently and the family love it when I bring back Fauchion Macaroons.
You might have worked out from this blog, that we do love our food. The eating and the making. My wife kept on saying "I wonder how you make these". We live near Windsor and when we had a trip to the Windsor Daniel's department store, I found a cheap copy of Stephane Glacier's DVD "macaroons".

Ever since it has been a family joke to ask Rhona (my wife) - "when will you do macaroons???".

So when our 9 year old son was pushed for finding a Mother's day gift, he searched on Amazon and found Mad about Macarons! by Jill Colonna (obviously macroons and macarons are supposed the same thing -  let me know which spelling you prefer).

Now Rhona really got the bug and after reading the book a few times, she gave it a go. Apparently the quick reference section at the back of the book giving you the measurements for different quantities numbers of macro(o)ns was incredibly helpful.

In her own word, Rhona's piping skills need improving. So the sizes of the macaro(o)ns in her first attempts were varied. Practice no doubt will help on that, but we all agreed that (particularly for a first attempt) the result was a triumph from a flavor and a texture point of view.


I just can't wait for the next few tries...

No comments:

Post a Comment