Saturday 28 November 2015

A Mediterranean Experiment

The idea is probably a little odd, but I thought "can you combine Coq au Vin and Paella???" I would certainly need something bright green as contrast. Otherwise you would end up with a brown mess.

So, to start with I coated two chicken drumsticks and two thighs in flour and milk powder (a Heston tip) and fried them off. I then removed them from the pan and fried off the heads and shells of 8 prawns. I then put the prawn "waste" in a separate pan (I'll get back to that in a sec). Next I peeled and sliced two onions. The peels and any "waste" I through into the pan with the prawn stuff.
I then softened and slightly caramelised the sliced onion. In the meantime I took the skin of two small chorizos (the skin, again, goes into the "waste pan"). and added them to the onions.

While the chorizo was rendering out a bit, I filled the "waste pan" up with cider, added some stock powder (good veg stock and Japanese dashi) and wakame seaweed (great idea if you want to add seafood flavor) to create a strong seafood stock.

Next is red wine. I used a "Anciano Tempranillo Gran Reserva 2007". Believe it or not, but that was reduced at Waitrose to £5.99, so the whole bottle (minus a taster) went in together with a tin of Italian chopped tomatoes and then I re-added  the chicken. After boiling for 20 minutes, I took the chicken back out and passed the seafood stock through a sieve into the main pan. I then put in one cup of paella rice, gave it one stir and let it boil for 20 minutes. After taking the chicken out, I let it boil for another 15 minutes while I got some salted water to the boil in a third pan (with a little lemon juice).

Next the chicken goes back in ( sorry about the in/out/in/out thing, but it works). I then added some trimmed beans to the boiling water and after three minutes I added some tenderstem broccoli. After an additional three minutes, I drained the greens and dressed them with lemon juice and salt.

At that point I put the prawns (the ones I got the shells and heads from) into the main pot for two minutes.

Serving time...



It was amazingly rich and the crunch of the green veg contrasting really made it.

We had the same wine to go with dinner and it just worked.


No comments:

Post a Comment