Saturday 21 November 2015

Magic Powder

I can't remember how I found this idea, but it was probably one of the elements in one of Heston's recipes. This powder is flavor magic. I use it to sprinkle over poached eggs on toast, add it to chili con carne or spagbol. It's also great for gravys. I certainly wouldn't want to be without it over the holiday period. Yet, last week I ran out....

It looks a little bland - light brown...

SO, what is it? Well, it started out as a roasted dried mushroom powder. I quite like to add some konbu, chili, garlic powder and salt.

To start with you roast some dried shitake mushrooms, porcini and chili and if you want some konbu at about 200C until you get this lovely caramelised mushroom smell.



Then mix in some salt (I use Maldon Sea Salt) and garlic powder with your roasted mushrooms etc and transfer to a spice grinder, food processor or the like.



After blizing it you have a very powerful powder....


I'll post when I use it. In the mean time let me know what you think, if you are giving it a go and if yes, how you are modifying and using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment