Sunday 15 November 2015

Ribs and Wedges

Tonight we simply had ribs and wedges, but the family insisted that I write down what I did.

To start with I made a brine of salt, sugar, garlic powder, Chinese five spice, cardamon, cinnamon, cloves, star anise, dried ginger powder, good vegetable stock powder, dried shiitake mushrooms and a pierced died chili. The picture isn't a looker, but perhaps brine is just not very photogenic.



I then brined the ribs for about two hours and then brought the brine with the ribs to the boil and let them simmer for 10 minutes. I then switched off the heat and let the ribs cool a bit.

While the ribs where cooling I made a BBQ sauce. For that I used three ladles of the brine, ketchup, some bought (sorry) BBQ sauce, Korean chili paste, garlic powder, honey and cider. I then let this reduce a bit.

After removing the ribs I covered them with the BBQ sauce to marinate. While they where marinating I cut half an onion squash (butternut wound do), a couple of sweat potatoes and some carrots into wedges and boiled them for 5 minutes in the brine. I then removed them and put them in the fridge to cool quickly so that they do not overcook. Once cooled I coated them in vegetable oil, ras el hanout, ground cumin and again that vegetable stock powder.

This is not the best looking meal I ever made, but believe me, it was very tasty and the meat was super tender.



Next time I'll put in more effort into the presentation.

No comments:

Post a Comment